KIT Young Playwrights Series
The KIT Young Playwright 10 minute play series Celebrating 50 years of the riots of the Stonewall Inn.
Kairos Italy Theater, the Italian theater company in NY, is inaugurating a series of 10-minute plays dedicated to specific themes. In 2019, the series is dedicated to LGBTQ issues in celebration of 50 years of the riots of the Stonewall Inn.
In the early morning hours of June 28, 1969, a police raid took place at the famous gay bar Stonewall Inn in the Greenwich Village in NY. A series of spontaneous, violent demonstrations by members of the gay community developed. Such demonstrations are known as The Stonewall riots (also referred to as the Stonewall uprising or the Stonewall rebellion). They are widely considered to constitute the most important event leading to the gay liberation movement and the modern fight for LGBTQ in the United States and in the world.
The first edition of the series is presented in collaboration with Casa Italiana Zerilli-Marimo’ at NYU, Bernie Wohl Center at Goddard Riverside (NY), Certi Diritti (Italy), KIT Italia (Italy), Russian Lgbt Network (Russia), TARTE (Turkish American Repertory Theater and entertainment), and others TBA.
The series In depth:
- Twelve 10-minute plays will be selected by an international jury and presented in New York in April 2019.
- The audience and the committee will vote the best three 10-minute plays that will receive a staged presentation during In Scena! Italian Theater Festival NY in May 2019. Cast and directors will be provided by KIT in collaboration with the partners of the project.
- The twelve 10-minute plays will be published under KIT in July 2019
- The three finalists will be staged in its Italian translation – curated by KIT – in Italy during a festival in Milan and/or Rome in late 2019/early 2020.
The submission period goes from December 1st to February 1st. Deadline: February 1st 2019.
- The playwright MUST be 35-year-old or younger.
- The selected playwrights MUST signed an agreement declaring that KIT has the right to present the play in its English translation (provided by KIT and by KIT’s partners when applicable) in form of a reading and in form of a staged presentation.
- The play should be on and about LGBTQ issues.
- Languages admitted: Italian, English, Spanish, Turkish.
- Send to firstname.lastname@example.org the following material: Cover letter with name, last name, address, year of birth and email of playwright, short presentation of the play, the 10 minutes play in pdf format or in word.
- Please put your country in the subject line as for example: ITALY – SUBMISSION 10 MINUTE PLAY KIT.
The playwrights of the 10-minute plays chosen will receive communication by March 15. The readings of the twelve 10-minute plays will take place in April 2019 at the Bernie Wohl Center and at Casa Italiana Zerilli-Marimo’ at NYU in Manhattan.